Palisades Zoysia GrassPalisades Zoysia Grass is a high density turf that is especially suitable for home lawns. Palisades has proven itself to be an excellent choice for low- maintenance landscapes. Due to its low light requirements, it has become useful when there is a need to address shady areas in the landscape. It has reasonably good salt tolerance. Palisades is best known for its performance in shady lawns or areas, its drought tolerance, and its rapid recuperative ability, which makes it a grass that can withstand a high volume of foot traffic. One main reason Palisades Zoysia is used for homes is because of its low maintenance requirements. Because of its quick establishment rate and recuperative ability it is very wear tolerant and can be used in even some of the more trafficked home lawns. Palisades™, Zoysia japonica, is a vegetatively produced, medium broad textured, high density turf suitable for home lawns, golf fairways and roughs, sports fields, industrial parks, and highway medians. Dark green in color, Palisades Zoysia is a vegetative-produced, medium- to coarse-textured, high-density turf noted for its shade tolerance and low water use requirements. Developed by Texas A&M University to withstand drought, Palisades has proven itself to be an excellent choice for low-maintenance landscapes. With its low light requirements, it has also proven useful when addressing shady areas in the landscape.
Palisades Zoyia, the most popular Zoysia-grass in Louisian, Central Texas, and South Mississippi. In addition to being lower maintenance, Palisades is known for being more drought and shade tolerant than many other turf varieties.. It tolerates mowing as close as 1/2″ with good weed competitions ideally as high as 2″ to 2-1/2″ for home lawns. Palisades™ close mowing tolerance makes it ideal for use on golf course fairways especially where water availability is of concern.
- Medium to coarse texture, medium leaf blades (5-7mm)
- Grows from above-ground runners (stolens) and below-ground shoots (rhisomes)
- Uniform density
- Good to Excellent Shade Tolerance
- Low maintenance
- Low water use
- Tolerates low mowing
- Requires less fertilizer; can thatch if over-fertilized
Palisades Zoysia Care
- For home or commercial applications: In Spring and Summer, mow 1″-2″ every 7-10 days. Shorter heights require regular and more frequent mowing. Do not scalp. Never remove more than 1/3 of leaf blade in any single mowing. In Fall and Winter, mow every 10-14 days.
- For sports or golf applications: Palisades tolerates close mowing, between 1/2″ to 7/8″. For these shorter heights, mow twice a week with a reel mower.
- In Spring, apply fertilizer after danger of frost or in mid-February in frost-free areas. Use balanced time-released fertilizer such as 16-4-8. Can use products with iron to improve color. Perform soil analysis for best results.
- In Fall, apply balanced time-released fertilizer such as 15-5-10.
- Requires 3-4 lbs. of Nitrogen per 1000 square feet per year for a highly maintained turf.
- At least 1″ of water weekly is recommended to keep optimal appearance and to resist disease and pests. However, in periods of drought or high temperatures, grass will need to be watered more often. Water when leaf blades wilt.